So good.

When the sun starts to rise and I open my eyes 
You are good, so good. ~Nichole Nordeman

Sometimes I forget about the true goodness of God. He is so good and He cares about every single detail of our lives. 

For example: 
Years ago, when my friends were in college and I was at good ol' beauty school, I went to Hope College to visit my friends and attend a "decade party". 
"What's a decade party?" you ask...oh, well let me tell you.  It's basically a party where you dress up in the "trends" of any decade you desire...and I mean any - there were even a few guys there that dressed up like cave-men, so...yea.
Anyway, this one, specifically, was a huge gathering thrown at a hotel banquet room...I believe it was a fundraiser? (Hope girls, correct me if I'm wrong). 
I went to the thrift store to pick out my costume and had no idea what I wanted to dress up as. I remember thinking in my head "Ok, Lord, help me find something good."  Silly, I know...but hey, God doesn't care if we bring the super small requests to him, no matter how silly they seem sometimes! 
Well, I found this awesome black-knit sweater dress complete with teal and blue planets on it, yes you heard me correctly, planets...along with some white scrunched boots and some fabulous white accessories to go with this 80's themed look. I thought this costume was pretty good, so I was happy with it.  
Little did I know that I would be winning 1st place in their costume contest, out of everyone there!
Now, the point of this story is not me bragging about winning 1st place (although, my hair was pretty awesomely crimped...and my blue eye-shadow was stellar) but to remind you that He hears us! He loves to be in the fore-front of our minds and for us to converse with Him through the day, whether it's about a big issue or a small one.
No, all stories don't turn out the way we want them to, nor does God always give us exactly what we ask for - exactly when we want it, but I smile when I think back to that story because it is a reminder that He cares about the small things in our daily lives.  He has a sense of humor and He likes to remind us of His presence and His care for us. 

Lately, I have been trying to keep my eyes on the daily blessings that the Lord provides...and trust me, they are daily.  There are so many things that we take for granted without ever giving thanks for them and seeing the Lord's goodness in them. 

"When the road starts to turn
Around each bend I have learned 
You are good, so good."

Sometimes I just want to shout, "There is nothing to be thankful for right now, this isn't fair!" but God likes to correct me; He shows me that I have an amazing, caring, and might I add- handsome husband who loves me with all his heart.  He shows me that I can enjoy a warm Summer breeze or an air-conditioned apartment where I can take refuge from the heat (and the humidity that likes to makes my hair look like Donna Summers).  I can be thankful for a comfy bed at night, an amazing family who is always there for me, my favorite song coming on the radio at just the right moment, an ice-cold Diet Coke (mmm...) and so on.  There are numerous things that show God's goodness, but we have to be open to seeing them. 

So, I am challenging myself to open my eyes more and see the beauty in every day life.  So often I want to complain and see the down side, as told in this post, but I am learning so much about the importance of  today and the "now".  I don't want to let life pass me by while I wait for the end result, do you how much beauty I will miss by doing that? There is so much joy in the journey of life and I really don't want to miss it. 

So I hope you will join me today in seeing the beauty in the"simple" things.  I pray that you will be able to see and feel how blessed you are :)

"Every good and perfect gift comes from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows." ~ 1 James 1:17





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One of "those"days.

Change.

Dance in the Rain.